Brand name (Suprep®, Moviprep®, Clenpiq®, etc) Colonoscopy Prep
For tests scheduled before 10 a.m.
In advance of your procedure: Fill your prescription for the brand name bowel prep at your local pharmacy. You will also want to buy whichever liquid (preferably Gatorade or Powerade) you will want to mix with the prep.
If you take the blood thinners: coumadin (warfarin), Plavix, Xarelto, Eliquis, Effient, Brilinta, Pradaxa, or the weight loss medications: Qsymia, Zenzedi, Suprenza, Regimex, Contrave, Didrex, Evekeo, Lomaira, ProCentra and the doctor or nurse did not discuss whether you should stop this medication, please call our office right away. You may safely take aspirin as you normally do unless instructed otherwise.
The day PRIOR to the colonoscopy:
1) You need to drink only clear liquids for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This includes juice, water, black coffee, tea, clear broth soups, jello, Italian ice, etc. Again, no red liquids please.
2) The morning before your colonoscopy, put the liquid you will mix with the brand name prep in the refrigator, so that it is cold when you drink it later. You can also use water if you like.
3) At about 12pm, pour the first 6 oz bottle of the brand name prep into the 16 oz container. Fill the rest of the container to the top with the liquid of your choice (water, Gatorade/Powerade, or juice). Ideally you should drink the whole bottle in 15 minutes.
4) Over the next hour, you need to fill and drink the 16 oz container 2 more times (ideally just use water for this part). If you become bloated or nauseous, you may take a break for a half an hour or so, and then resume drinking at a slower pace.
5) At about 6pm, pour the second 6 oz bottle of the brand name prep into the 16 oz container. Fill the rest of the container to the top with the liquid of your choice (water, Gatorade/Powerade, or juice). Ideally you should drink the whole bottle in 15 minutes.
6) Over the next hour, you need to fill and drink the 16 oz container 2 more times (ideally just use water for this part). If you become bloated or nauseous, you may take a break for a half an hour or so, and then resume drinking at a slower pace.
7) Do not eat or drink anything (except with your medications) after midnight.
The day OF the colonoscopy:
1) You may take your prescription medications with sips of water, the morning of the procedure. Please take your blood pressure medication prior to the test so your pressure is under control. Your diabetes medications should not be taken until after the test (unless otherwise indicated by your doctor).
2) Please arrive at the Endoscopy Suite on the first floor of the hospital an hour earlier than your scheduled procedure time (unless instructed otherwise by the Endoscopy Nurse).
3) You must have someone drive you to and from your procedure as you will not be allowed to drive until the day after your colonoscopy, because of the sedation.
4) You will see Dr Houghton prior to your procedure. You will have the opportunity to ask him any remaining questions that you may have. You will also meet the Anesthiologist (if present) prior to your procedure.
5) After your procedure, Dr Houghton will discuss your test results with you and your family. Your referring Primary Care Doctor will receive a copy of the colonoscopy results as well.
If you have questions prior to the procedure, please see the attached FAQ (frequently asked questions) form. If you still have questions, you may call the office at 740-356-6828.