Colonoscopy prep with Miralax (split dose prep)
For tests scheduled AFTER 11am.
In advance of your procedure: Purchase Miralax (or generic equivalent) 238g or 255g bottle along with a small box of Dulcolax laxative (or equivalent generic) tablets (both over the counter at your local pharmacy).
If you take the blood thinners: coumadin (warfarin), Plavix, Xarelto, Eliquis, Effient, Brilinta, Pradaxa, or the weight loss medications: Qsymia, Zenzedi, Suprenza, Regimex, Contrave, Didrex, Evekeo, Lomaira, ProCentra and the doctor or nurse did not discuss whether you should stop this medication, please call our office right away. You may safely take aspirin as you normally do unless instructed otherwise.
The day PRIOR to the colonoscopy: (1st Half Dose)
1) You need to drink only clear liquids for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This includes juice, water, black coffee, tea, clear broth soups, jello, Italian ice, etc. Again, no red liquids please.
2) The morning before your colonoscopy, mix the entire bottle of Miralax with 64 oz of a clear liquid of your choice (gatorade, half gatorade-half water, poweraid), as long as it is not red.
Place the mixture in the refrigerator, so that it is cold when you start drinking later.
3) At about 5pm, start drinking the Miralax mixture. Ideally you should drink an 8 oz glass about every 15-20 minutes until you have finished HALF OF THE MIXTURE. If you become bloated or nauseous, you may take a break for a half an hour or so, and then resume drinking at a slower pace.
5) When you are finished drinking half of the Miralax, wait 1 hour and then take 2 dulcolax tablets.
6) It may take up to a few hours before you start to have bowel movements.
The day OF the colonoscopy: (2nd Half dose)
1) Wake up early enough where you are ready to start drinking the other half of your Miralax prep at 6am. Again, drink 1 cup every 15-20 minutes until you are finished with the rest of the bottle.
2) About 30 minutes after you are finished drinking the second half of the bottle, take 2 dulcolax tabs with a small amount of water.
3) You may take your prescription medications with sips of water, the morning of the procedure. Please take your blood pressure medication prior to the test so your pressure is under control. Your diabetes medications should not be taken until after the test (unless otherwise indicated by your doctor).
2) Please arrive at the Endoscopy Suite of the hospital an hour earlier than your scheduled procedure time (unless instructed otherwise by the Endoscopy Nurse).
3) You must have someone drive you to and from your procedure as you will not be allowed to drive until the day after your colonoscopy, because of the sedation.
4) You will see Dr Houghton prior to your procedure. You will have the opportunity to ask him any remaining questions that you may have. You will also meet the Anesthesiologist (if present) prior to your procedure.
5) After your procedure, Dr Houghton will discuss your test results with you. Your referring Primary Care Doctor will receive a copy of the colonoscopy results as well.
If you have questions prior to the procedure, please see the attached FAQ (frequently asked questions) form. If you still have questions, you may call the office at 740-356-6828.