Before you get a capsule endoscopy done, you will have to follow certain steps to be fully prepared to go through the procedure. That must be sounding a bit complicated. But there isn’t anything worrisome when it comes to preparing for capsule endoscopy. You just need to be mindful of certain things. If you still find preparation for a capsule endoscopy difficult, let us provide you with some help.
Here are a few important things you need to do for capsule endoscopy preparation.
One Week Before Capsule Endoscopy
- Stop consuming tobacco products for 24 hours before the test.
- Start following a clear liquid diet after having lunch. Consume no solid foods, purple or red liquids, alcohol, and chewing gum.
- No liquid intake after 10:00 pm. You can have a sip of water to take your regular evening medicines.
- Have half a liter or 16 oz. of bowel prep drink at around 6:00 pm. You can suck on some hard candy or drink it through a straw to bear with the taste of the liquid.
- After you have finished half of the prep liquid, drink another two glasses of 8 oz. of water.
- It is common to experience nausea while drinking prep liquid. If it happens to you, stop drinking the prep liquid for 30 minutes and then start again. You can also walk around to help with nausea.
- You may experience bowel movements within three hours of starting the preparations. However, it can also take longer. It is suggested to stay near a bathroom at this point.
- Patients who are diabetic should not take a dose of their diabetic medication on the day of the capsule endoscopy procedure.
Day of Capsule Endoscopy
- Don’t eat or drink anything. No chewing gum or candy.
- On the morning of capsule endoscopy, have two Simethicone (Gas Ex) tablets. Make sure to not have any other medication on the day of the capsule endoscopy.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes. It is recommended to wear a two-piece outfit.
- Arrive at the designated location on time and with all the required documents including your photo ID and insurance card.
After Ingesting Capsule Camera
Do not eat or drink for at least two after you have ingested the capsule.
You can now start having clear liquids including apple juice, white grape juice, white cranberry juice, sports drinks, popsicles, broth, coffee and tea without milk, and hard candy.
You can have a light snack four hours after the video capsule endoscopy.
You have to stay away from every source of powerful electromagnetic fields, like MRI or radio, until the capsule camera is excreted out of the body.
The capsule endoscopy may last for at least eight hours. During this duration, you need to avoid engaging in any strenuous activities. Avoid bending or stooping during this testing period.
During the testing period, you will be required to see every fifteen minutes if the small blue/green light on top of the video recorder is blinking or not.
If you experience vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain, or any other worrying symptoms, immediately call your doctor.